Below is a list of the top 10 full-service investment banks. JPMorgan is the world’s largest investment bank based on investment banking fees.
1. JP Morgan is the leading global investment bank with one of the most extensive client bases in more than 60 countries. The firm provides investment banking, treasury and securities services, asset management, private banking, commercial banking, and other services. JPMorgan is #1 in investment banking fees ($6.75 billion, 2015) with a 7.9% market share, #1 in the U.S. and EMEA investment banking fees and #1 in global debt, equity & equity-related and M&A. In 2015, Global Finance Magazine named J.P. Morgan the Best Investment Bank in the world. In the first quarter 2016, the company generated $1.3 billion in investment banking fees (8.2% market share).
2. Goldman Sachs is a global investment banking, securities and investment management firm. The company provides a wide range of services to corporations, financial institutions, governments, and high-net worth individuals. It operates in four business segments: Investment Banking, Institutional Client Services, Investing & Lending and Investment Management. The Investment Banking Division is at the front end of Goldman Sachs’ client franchise. Goldman Sachs was named the Best M&A Bank in the world for 2015 by Global Finance. Investment banking fees were $5.97 billion in 2015. The company’s market capitalization is $67 billion (May 13, 2016).
3. Bank of America Merrill Lynch (BAML) is the corporate and investment banking arm of Bank of America Corporation. It is one of the leading providers of wealth management, securities trading and sales, corporate finance and investment banking services. Bank of America ranked No.3 in total investment banking fees ($5.57 billion, 2015). It generated $1.153 billion in investment banking fees during the first quarter 2016. In 2015, Bank of America Merrill Lynch was named the Best Debt Bank in the world by Global Finance and the Most Innovative Investment Bank for private placement by The Banker.
4. Morgan Stanley provides its products and services to corporations, governments, institutions and individuals worldwide. The firm operates in the three business segments: Institutional Securities, Investment Management and Wealth Management. The Investment Management segment generates investment banking revenues primarily from the placement of investments in real estate and merchant banking funds. The company is headquartered in New York and has its principal offices in London, Tokyo, Hong Kong and other world financial centers. Morgan Stanley was named the Best Equity Bank in the world by Global Finance. In 2015, total investment banking revenues were $5.01 billion.
5. Citigroup is a global financial services holding company with over 200 million customer accounts. Citi's Institutional Clients Group (ICG) provides investment and corporate banking products and services to corporations, governments, financial institutions, and high-net-worth individuals. It is organized into five groups: Capital Markets Origination, Corporate and Investment Banking, Markets and Securities Services, Treasury and Trade Solutions and the Citi Private Bank. Revenue from investment banking, which is part of Citi's Institutional Clients Group, was $4.37 billion in 2015.
6. Barclays Capital is an investment division of Barclays plc. It provides financial advisory, capital raising, financing and risk management services to corporations, governments and financial institutions around the world. In 2015, investment banking fees reached GBP 2.093 billion ($3.1 billion). Barclays was honored as the Most Innovative Investment Bank for equity-linked bonds (The Banker 2015).
7. Credit Suisse Group is one of the most prestigious investment banks and one of the world’s largest wealth management firms with total assets under management of CHF 1.181 trillion (March 31, 2016). It operates through two global divisions: Private Banking & Wealth Management and Investment Banking. The Investment Banking division provides securities products and financial advisory services to corporations, governments, institutional investors and high-net-worth individuals. It offers debt and equity underwriting, mergers and acquisitions (M&A), sales and trading, divestitures, prime brokerage, capital raising, investment research and other services. As of May 13, 2016, Credit Suisse had a market capitalization of $25 billion.
8. Deutsche Bank is one the largest banks in Europe by total assets. It includes five corporate divisions: Corporate Banking & Securities (CB&S), Global Transaction Banking, Deutsche Asset & Wealth Management, Private & Business Clients and the Non-Core Operations Unit. Corporate Banking & Securities (CB&S) is one of the world’s leading investment banks and fixed income powerhouses. Greenwich Associates ranked Deutsche Bank’s global fixed income business first place based on market share. The Banker named Deutsche Bank the most innovative investment bank for IPOs and equity raising (2015).
9. Wells Fargo is the largest bank in world by market value. It is ranked No. 1, 2 or 3 in the U.S. for most of its products and services. The company has four major business groups: Community Banking, Wealth, Brokerage and Retirement, Consumer Lending and Wholesale Banking. Wells Fargo’s Investment banking fees were $2.2 billion in 2015.
10. UBS is a global firm with offices in more than 50 countries. It operates through six business units: Wealth Management, Wealth Management Americas, Retail & Corporate, Global Asset Management, the Investment Bank and Corporate Center. UBS Investment Bank serves corporate, institutional and wealth management clients through two main divisions: Corporate Client Solutions and Investor Client Services. Investment banking fees reached $1.9 billion in 2015. Global Finance awarded UBS as Best Investment Bank in the world for 2016.
Following are the world's leading investment banks ranked by investment banking fees.
|Rank||Company||Fees, US$m (First Quarter 2016)|
|2||Bank of America Merrill Lynch||1,153|
|3||Goldman Sachs & Co||1,040|