|Banco Central de Chile in Santiago|
Banco Central de Chile (Central Bank of Chile) was established on August 22, 1925. This initiative arose as one of four projects presented that year by the Kemmerer mission. The institution began activities with a nominal capital of 150 million pesos, of which about 13% was contributed by the State, 40% by Chilean and foreign commercial banks operating in Chile and the remaining 47% by the public through a share subscription. In 1925, the peso became the monetary unit in Chile, with a content of 0.183057 grams of pure gold. BCCH's roles and responsibilities include issuing banknotes and coins, regulating the amount of money and credit in circulation, and regulating the financial system and capital market. Banco Central de Chile is responsible for publishing national macroeconomic statistics, including monetary statistics, exchange rates, and balance of payment and national account indicators. The Bank’s headquarters was designed by the architect Alberto Cruz Montt. There are many valuable paintings by Chilean artists, which are distributed in the different halls and offices. BCCH also has a collection of Chilean bank notes and coins. The Bank's assets are mainly composed of financial instruments from international reserves. As of March 2016, Banco Central de Chile had total assets of over CLP 28.3 trillion.
Head office address:
Phone number: +56 2 670 2000