Following are the top 10 and top 50 largest asset and wealth managers in the world ranked by total AUM. BlackRock (NYSE: BLK), established in 1988, is the world's the largest asset management company with assets under management of over $5 trillion. Headquartered in New York, it has more than 70 offices in 30 countries and employs approximately 12,000 people. Vanguard, headquartered in Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, is the second largest investment management company with more than $3.8 trillion in global assets under management. It is also the largest mutual fund provider and the second largest ETFs (exchange-traded funds) provider in the world.
|Rank||Company||Country||Assets under Management (US$b)||Balance sheet|
|2||Vanguard Group *||US||3,814||09/30/2016|
|4||State Street Global Advisors (SSGA)||US||2,446||09/30/2016|
|5||Allianz Asset Management (AAM)||Germany||2,086||09/30/2016|
|7||J.P. Morgan Asset Management (JPMAM)||US||1,772||09/30/2016|
|9||Crédit Agricole (2)||France||1,591||06/30/2016|
|18||BNP Paribas (3)||France||1,126||09/30/2016|
|19||Legal & General Investment Management||UK||1,091||06/30/2016|
|20||Wellington Management Company||US||998.0||09/30/2016|
|22||TIAA Global Asset Management||US||915.0||09/30/2016|
|23||Natixis Global Asset Management||France||897.0||09/30/2016|
|24||Bank of America||US||871.0||09/30/2016|
|25||T. Rowe Price||US||812.9||09/30/2016|
|27||Sumitomo Mitsui Trust Group (SuMi Trust)||Japan||751.0||03/31/2016|
|28||Legg Mason, Inc||US||733.0||09/30/2016|
|29||Affiliated Managers Group (AMG)||US||730.0||09/30/2016|
|31||Franklin Resources (Franklin Templeton Investments)||US||723.0||10/31/2016|
|32||Sun Life Financial||Canada||690.4||09/30/2016|
|36||Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group||Japan||610.0||06/30/2016|
|39||MetLife Investment Management (MIM)||US||558.9||09/30/2016|
|40||New York Life Investment Management||US||525.0||09/30/2016|
|43||Wells Fargo Asset Management (WFAM)||US||498.0||09/30/2016|
|45||Old Mutual plc||UK||455.0||06/30/2016|
|46||Dimensional Fund Advisors||US||443.0||09/30/2016|
|47||Royal Bank of Canada||Canada||433.1||09/30/2016|
|48||HSBC Global Asset Management||UK||430.1||06/30/2016|
|49||MFS Investment Management||US||424.5||10/31/2016|
|50||Morgan Stanley Investment Mngt||US||417.0||09/30/2016|
|52||Aberdeen Asset Management||UK||405.4||09/30/2016|
|53||Aegon Asset Management||Netherlands||377.0||09/30/2016|
|54||Macquarie Asset Management (MAM)||Australia||376.0||09/30/2016|
(1) - UBS AUM include Wealth Management ($996 B), Wealth Management Americas ($1,106 B) and Asset Management ($669 B).
(2) - Crédit Agricole's total AUM include asset management, wealth management and insurance.
(3) - BNP Paribas assets under management include Asset Management (€413 B), Wealth Management (€341 B), Insurance (€227 B) and Real Estate (€23 B).
* As of March 2017, Vanguard had more than $4 trillion in assets under management.
* As of March 2017, Fidelity Investments Inc had over $2.1 trillion in assets under management.
* PIMCO (Pacific Investment Management Company) operates as a separate and autonomous subsidiary of Allianz Group.
* Amundi is owned 80% by Credit Agricole and 20% by Societe Generale..